Old 04-29-2006, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Plane CE#16
Originally Posted by mgjordan
Originally Posted by Yoda
Originally Posted by chuck
Originally Posted by mgjordan

Chuck,
I beleive Martee gave me an answer to this question a couple of months ago, but I can't find the e-mail so I will ask again.

If you take a still picture of a good player about half way down in the downswing (about when the right arm and clubshaft line up) and then draw a line down the clubshaft to the ground, the line will be a considerable distance outside the ball. This would indicate to me that they are swinging on a plane much flatter than they should be. Also, since the right forarm should trace the baseline of the plane, this would indicate that the right arm is tracing somewhere outside of that as well since it is in-line with the club. I know this is probably an optical illusion, but could you explain it to me.

Ideally the right forearm and clubshaft would be in line and pointing at the base of the plane. If the forearm is pointing beyond the delivery line then as Mr. Kelley says, "the right forearm of every hacker comes in too high". This would also mean that the plane angle would be steeper at Impact...draw an address clubshaft line and then a Impact shaft line and see the difference. Better players get away with this because they generally have educated hands...poor players would from this point, stand up and drop the angle between the left arm and shaft usually resulting in a toe hit.

MG,

Chapter 8 of the The Golfing Machine presents and defines "a chain of Basic Positions and Motions through which every Stroke must pass. Throughout the book, positions and motions are located according to the Section in which they occur."

The Downstroke has been awarded exclusive possession of Section 8-8, that Section defined as being located between the Start-Down (8-7) and Release (8-9). Since you have used the less definitive terminology "about halfway down in the downswing," I am going to assume that you mean "well into the Downstroke (8- but prior to the Release (8-9)."

This is not nit-picking, particularly given the non-visual medium in which we must communicate, but in fact is necessary to assure optimum communication. Chuck's reply illustrates the point: He has correctly addressed the condition that should exist at Impact -- namely, the On-Plane Right Forearm -- and the disruptions that occur if it is not.

If, however, I have correctly deduced that your question refers to alignments occurring much earlier, probably in the Downstroke (8- and certainly no later than the Release (8-9), then another answer is in order. In fact, two answers are in order because there are actually two distinct alignments referenced in your question. The first relates to the alignment of the Clubshaft and the second to the alignment of the Right Forearm. So, here we go:

Let's tackle the Clubshaft part first. Depending on the exact moment captured, one of these three conditions must exist in an On-Plane Stroke:

1. The butt end of the Clubshaft is pointing at the Line;

2. The length of the Clubshaft is parallel to the Line; or

3. The head end of the Clubshaft is pointing at the line.

I have reviewed many pictures of "good players" that capture the position you seem to be describing, and I have yet to find one that, to my eye, appear to be so radically Off-Plane as you describe. Presuming then, that your description really does mean "a considerable distance outside the ball," then we have a mystery on our hands because I can't find that condition in a "good player" executing an On-Plane Stroke.

Of course, the Base Line of the Plane directly in front of the player can and should be extended to infinity (per 2-F) on both sides of the Ball. Perhaps it is that extension that is being pointed at and that you are terming "outside" the Ball. But given your description of a "flatter Plane," that doesn't seem to be the case. Possibly, it is the "optical illusion" you mentioned; one that could result from a camera angle not properly aligned with the Plane of Motion. Since I cannot tell if either of these "explanations" apply, the action you describe remains a mystery.

In my view, what you are describing simply is not happening. If it was, and if the player maintained that Plane through Impact, then he would miss the Ball. And that, friends, ain't happenin.' So, we have a mystery, one you probably can clear up in a reply post.

Now to the second part, the alignment of the Right Forearm. Remember, the Right Forearm is part of that assembly we term the Right Forearm Flying Wedge (6-B-3-0-1). In addition to the Right Forearm itself, the assembly includes the Bent, Level and Motionless Right Wrist (3-F-6) and the #3 Pressure Point of the Right Forefinger (6-C-1-#3). This assembly, with its rigid angle (Bent Right Wrist), is positioned at right angles to the Left Arm/Left Wristcock Plane of Motion, along the plane of the Right Wrist Bend. Think of a strut (Right Forearm) supporting an airplane's wing (Left Arm) and you get the picture.

Now, per 7-3, the Right Forearm is always positioned precisely in-line with --and directly opposed to--the motion of the On Plane Loading Action of the Left Arm Flying Wedge (6-B-3-0-1) and this alignment is maintained through Impact. Accordingly, the Right Forearm must be On Plane (and therefore point at the Plane Line) through Impact per the Impact Fix alignment established per 2-J-1.

But remember, this On-Plane condition of the Right Forearm refers only to the Impact Interval described. It most certainly is not On-Plane during other Sections of the Stroke, e.g., the Downstroke you seem to have described. So, while the #3 Pressure Point is always On-Plane the Right Forearm rarely is. Instead, it is positioned as described above as the Right Forearm Flying Wedge and the Left Arm Flying Wedge Loading alignments dictate. In other words, the Right Forearm supports the Plane of Motion of the #3 Pressure Point, but except through Impact, it does not define it.

Bottom Line:

1. There is no answer to the first part of your question because the action you describe is not actually occurring; and

2. The answer to the second part of your question is that the Right Forearm appears to be Off-Plane because it is Off-Plane (but not out of its correct alignment, i.e., in direct support of the On-Plane Loading Action of the Left Arm Flying Wedge and the #3 Pressure Point).

Hope this helps to clear the Fog.

YODA,
Thanks for the reply. Where I got this from was viewing http://www.golfbetterproductions.com/comparison.asp . I saved the pictures and opened them in Window's Paint program and then took the line tool and extended a line all the way down the shaft to the ground. In all of the photos, the line came out to the outside of the ball and Sergio's picture was considerable outside the ball. I was just thinking that the line down the shaft should hit the ball. My thinking was that since the shaft is lined up with the right forarm, the right forarm would be pointing at the same place the shaft is.

MG,

I have examined the pictures at the site you reference, and they confirm my analysis. Each player's Club is pointing at the "through the Ball" Sweet Spot Plane Line (including its extension to infinity in both directions). Even Sergio's, who is definitely traveling the low road!

Also, each player's Right Forearm alignment with his Left Arm Flying Wedge (6-B-3-0-1) and the #3 Pressure Point's Plane of Motion through the Ball is consistent with my description.