Problems in tournaments � - LynnBlakeGolf Forums

Problems in tournaments �

Mind over Muscle � The Mental Approach

Old 09-20-2012, 10:15 PM

Two tournaments one win and one playoff loss by card.
Originally Posted by spalding View Post
I know I'm only 4 years late to this post, but I can relate with you, jamnet. In fact i was about to post a similar post until i saw yours. I have always said that tournament golf and regular golf are two different animals. Even going from the range where I would be striping everything, to the first tee where I would snap hook the first one off of the tee is an all to often occurrence.

I have read all of the Rotella, Joe Parent, Gio Valiante, etc books, and know the importance of playing one shot at a time, sticking to the routine, and being target oriented. My problem, however, is that, in a tournament, I feel like I'm playing with someone else's golf swing...and he sucks! This leads to an over sensitivity to everything (alignments, rushing the routine, etc), nothing feels right, internal warning lights go on....which produces tension...and FORE left.

I agree it is all about fear, and overcoming it. And other things can help...course knowledge/gameplan, a solid routine, and of course, a good short game. In fact I think those are the things that allow you to have patience, make better decisions, and reduce tension.

So I would like to know how people deal with playing with their tournament swings.

Best stated in Caddyshack, "I'm a veg, Danny...."
When I first played about 20 years ago, at a Kiwanis/Civitan annual tournament, in the last flight, my avg. score for the year was about 130.
On the first tee, I missed my first shot at 6:45 am and got a face full of wet mud. Though I was an ordained Presbyterian minister, my Civitan opponent called me a "F'n cripple", as in "Great! I'm wasting my day playing with a F'n cripple."

I had caddied all year for a fella from Clarkesville that qualified for the US Amateur. I used my anger to focus on JM's swing though I knew almost nothing and was playing with my Hogan Edges. When it was over I shot a 79 winning the last flight by 10 strokes

I won 4 doz golf balls, a set of Greg Norman Irons, some cash and golfer of the year. The winning score of the championship flight, the best score, was 73. He was a very nice man and the guy I was using as a swing model. I was delighted.

Last summer (2011), I played in a GAP tournament with about 50 participants and went to a golf course I had never played. I had two simple goals: hit one club longer than the trouble in front of the hole no matter what the club that was called for and get every putt and chip 1 foot past the hole. I shot an 82. I lost on the card to the club champion on the third hole on the card which was compared and won a gift certificate.

One of my playing competitors, a scratch golfer familiar with the course, simply lied to me about the landing area on the first hole and instead of having 150 yards in to the pin, l was left with about 200 yards in. I hit my 2 hybrid within 30 feet of the pin. I kept the chip on my shoulder the entire round.

We play Monday money games with the local game, $10 a head. The club pro is interesting, as we all can be. I started with a birdie, a par ("no you can't move the ball away from an old hole mark that left a 2 inch gouge in the green!"), a birdie, and a par on my way to shoot a 76. His first compliment to me came on the 10th hole after shooting a 39, which made me even more determined. He shot a 79 for his round. I never made a single put outside of 7 feet or I would've broken par.

Have a plan when you play. Have a repeatable Lynn Blake vertically un-cocking left wrist or firm, bent right wrist. And take it personally when your playing partners get indignant over your success! The fact that sportsmanship seems lacking in competition can heighten your powers of concentration!

If I were a club pro, simple business considerations would make me be more gentle with members right? When playing with a stranger, common courtesy would suggest being gracious and telling the truth about information asked for. For a guy to try to win by being dishonest or unkind reveals the weakness of their skill level or confidence or both! Please insult me, lie to me, or "dis" me during a tournament! I hate that stuff.

I did not play very well with Kevin Carter and Jerry G. and friends. They are so nice! I am not a minister of any kind anymore for which I am very happy. The spirituality I have through Al-anon helps me feel a lot closer to my HP and a lot more honest with myself and others. I think Lynn is an excellent person and teacher!

ICT

Last edited by innercityteacher : 09-20-2012 at 10:24 PM.