One Arm Bandit - LynnBlakeGolf Forums

One Arm Bandit

The Scoring Zone - 100 Yards and In

Old 10-23-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by brownman View Post
I am consistantly inconsistant when it comes to chipping,distance wise,the saying I remember is I think :the left hand doesnt know what the right hand is doing and the right hand will never tell:.....this old saying got me going a bit today...

I decided to have a concerted effort to establish some "proper" control of my chips,as a rule in the past,(others may be the same) I would be concentrating first up to hit the ball and worry about exactly where and why it ended up where it did distance wise later on "or blame the green or something" instead of being in total control and know whats going on in my chipping action.

With the explanation out of the road,I will get to crux of this post,, Today I begun "practicing" my chipping using one hand only,I mean put the unused hand behind my back and just hit 6 balls with L/hand....then ...r/hand.
Let me tell you,there was so many "shockers" until I really concentrated on WHAT the L/H ....HAD TO DO.....and what was required of the R/H in order to hit the chip properly and consistantly
I learnt more about the flail and frozen wedges than thought I could,lets not leave out alighnments.
I actually made a small contest out of it ,the one I thought would be hardest turned out to be easiest THE L/HAND won the day....After a lengthy session I discovered I was ACTUALLY to move around the green with different length chips(2 hands)and was so much more in control of the chips lengths..enough of my waffle now ,I just hope someone else enjoys success and learns a bit more what is involved in chipping,not just chipping to get on the green,but have MORE knowledge of how to gain control over your chipping.........CHEERS BM
I have a feeling Homer did this one armed drill ...... I know Seve did.

Right Arm only, Left Arm only , then both attached, Push , Pull , Paw Single Barrel. Then add an accumulator , then another one. All done with three types of Hinge Actions. You can get to be really good working on things like this. Managing the distance control via the application of Lag Pressure . But with the chips there's something to be said for dialing down or "governing" the power available by: Gripping down on the shaft to shorten the lever length and zeroing out the #3 power accumulator by employing your putting grip. Handle running along the life line as opposed to under the heal of the left palm.

The full length of your chipping club has too much power potential for the short ones. You need to lessen the send mechanically a machine adjustment so to speak to gain control over the application of minute amounts of lag pressure. Just like we do when putting , typically. Although Tiger grips the putter with some #3. There's always exceptions to these sorts of things.

Uh......one man stands out in this field of endeavor and he was perhaps the greatest of all short game masters. Mr Paul Runyan. His stiff wristed short chipping method , some times commonly referred to as the "putt chip" is awkward at first and not as pure compression wise (but you dont want compression for this shot necessarily) but it'll beat your traditional method consistently by 20 to 25% . And immediately upon adoption. It took Yoda about 15 minutes to show it to me , sell me on its superiority, confirm it in trial and error testing. I still use my old method but only when I need the power it supplies for longer shots, chips.

If your distance control is ok when putting but poor when short chipping I suspect its due to too much power potential.... gotta dial it way down, mechanically. The Runyan Method , stiff wristed , putt chip with an open plane line and an open club face is one heck of a method when short sided. You dont necessarily need to take a big swing and cut the legs out from underneath the ball all the time. It looks great but you dont always have to try that shot , you have options.

Last edited by O.B.Left : 10-23-2011 at 02:55 PM.