10-19-C Start down ? - LynnBlakeGolf Forums

10-19-C Start down ?

Emergency Room - Swingers

Old 08-03-2011, 07:34 PM

By the way, I'm no expert at this--struggling with understanding it like most. I took a driver with a whippy shaft and did some experiments. First, I set it with the face touching a table leg. Got in address, and went towards impact fix. The shaft bent and I could clearly feel the lag pressure, I think at all 4 pressure points, especially 2, 3 and 4. Also, with the shaft acting like a spring, I feel this wonderful cushy resistance, not like pushing a stiff iron rod, say.
Next, I left the table leg and performed the basic motion with the same driver--2 feet back and a 2 feet forward (to both-arms-straight), doing it with as much thrust as possible. Again, the shaft bends, especially at first. I also get the "cushy feel" and that feel coincides with the lag pressure build-up. Then at both-arms-straight, because the club slows down, I can see the shaft un-bend and "kick" the other way. Even with that short a motion, I couldn't tell exactly when the shaft begins bending the other way (kicking back), or what state it's in at impact, but I am TRYING to keep it bent backward, or trying to maintain the lag pressure. Now, instead of pushing against the table leg (infinite inertia) I'm pushing against the inertia of the club, especially the clubhead. As long as I can maintain the pressure, the club will ACCELERATE. But, eventually it's going to stop so it has to decelerate, beginning at some point. Again, it's a mental image, but I'm TRYING to have that happen after impact.
I also noticed that if my motion was 2 feet back, then back down, forward and out, then just let me and the club keep going to a "natural" stop (almost a full follow-through), the shaft seemed to be bent backward at impact.