The Kelley Five - LynnBlakeGolf Forums

The Kelley Five

Drills, Training Aids and Equipment

Old 07-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Sweetspot Rules
Originally Posted by Martee View Post

GREAT!!!!

Now for part two...this is where I go into the dump...

The only thing that has driven me bonkers is 2-F paragraph 3 where it is stated "Whenever the Clubshaft is parallel to the ground it must also be parallel to the base line of the Inclined Plane (7-5/10-5 Plane Line as I understand it) which is usually (but not always) the Line of Flight also."

This reads that the base line of the Inclined Plane is on the same line as the Line of Flight (on top of it), but our definition and understanding says that the three line, the stance line, plane line (base of Inclined Plane) and Target Line/Line of Flight/Flight Line are parallel to each for a straight shot or that the first two can cross/interest withe the Target Line/Line of Flight/Flight Line.

If it were to have said that it was the Sweet Spot Plane Line vs base of the Inclined Plane then it could be accurate.

I really believe based on my search that it should read that it is parallel both lines (usually) and should not indicate they are one of the same lines.
Martee,

Please forgive the delayed reply . . . I'm four years late!

The answer is that Homer Kelley dictated the Sweet Spot Plane convention in 2-F:

"Regardless of where the Clubshaft and Clubhead are joined together, it always feels as if they are joined at the Sweet Spot -- the longitudinal center of gravity, the line of the pull of Centrifugal Force. So there is a "Clubshaft" Plane and a "Sweet Spot" or "Swing" Plane. But herein, unless otherwise noted, "Plane Angle" and "Plane Line" always refer to the Center of Gravity application."

In other words, Martee, when we're talkin' Plane, we're talkin' Sweetspot Plane, not Clubshaft Plane.

And remember, in full Strokes, the Clubshaft cannot stay on its own Address Plane. Instead, it rotates to the Sweetspot Plane on the Backstroke and then back to its own Plane during the Release Interval (Release, Impact and Follow-Through). Then, into the Finish, back onto the Plane of the Sweetspot.

So . . .

The Clubshaft rotates about the Sweetspot.

Not vice versa.