Hand Delivery paths - LynnBlakeGolf Forums

Hand Delivery paths

Golf By Jeff M

Old 12-30-2008, 10:55 PM

HB

You asked-: "If you set up like that with hips at fix and don't move your hip forward in downswing, how are you going to get your straight line delivery path?"

The answer - like Aaron Baddeley. Note that Badds, like other S&T golfers, has very little left-lateral pelvic shift in the early downswing. It is more of a hip bump - as one replants weight on the left foot. He still has a straight section at the start of his hand delivery path. However, it is not as pronounced as Hogan's straight section - possibly because Hogan had more hip slide in his early downswing. Badds hand arc is more rounded than Hogan's and predisposes to a slower random release.

I used to set up with my pelvis centralised at address, and I then acquired secondary axis tilt at address by tilting my upper torso, which caused my head to move behind the center of the stance. I now prefer Yoda's recommendation for my iron shots, where he recommends keeping the head centralised and then shifting the pelvis left laterally to acquire a rightwards tilted spine. I still perform that pelvic shift action action when setting up for a driver. However, I anticipate the need for more secondary axis tilt with a driver at impact, so I allow my head to be positioned slightly right-of-center at address by having more rightwards tilt at address.

I have noted that many professional golfers prefer to have their pelvis centralised at address, and they therefore have their head further back when using a driver - sometimes closer to the right foot than to the center of the stance. They will presumably have a slightly different "straightish" section in their 10-23-A hand delivery path as a consequence of that choice. I have no "evidence" that their choice is biomechanically disadvantageous. Tiger Woods and Ben Hogan play superlative golf using that address position style for their driver shots.

Jeff.

Last edited by Jeff : 12-30-2008 at 10:57 PM.