Hammering Down Concepts - LynnBlakeGolf Forums

Hammering Down Concepts

Basic Component Variations

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM
Administrator

Hammering Down Concepts

tgmgolfer2k2 wrote:

Zero shift (10-7-A) is not deviating from your starting plane. You usually start on the Hands Plane, Elbow Plane, or Shoulder Plane - then don't move off that plane during the stroke.

A "conventional" zero plane shift swing is accomplished by beginning on the Turned Shoulder Plane and staying there the whole swing. By "conventional", I mean "normal looking" - you can also have a zero shift on the Elbow or Hands Plane, but the swing will be very flat and short.

Look at the pictures 10-6-A #2 and 10-6-E #2, which represent the Top positions of the Elbow and Hands Plane, respectively. Notice how flat and short they are. Contrast this with 10-6-B #2, which is the Turned Shoulder Plane at the Top position - appears conventional in terms of swing length and steepness of plane.

For reference: a standard Double Shift (10-7-C) is Elbow -> to Turned Shoulder in backstroke -> Elbow coming back down.

Standard reverse shift (10-7-E) is starting on Turned Shoulder Plane and staying put for the backstroke, then moving onto the Elbow plane for the downstroke (such as the Price/Faldo examples mentioned above.)

The whole "plane" and "shifting" concepts are somewhat difficult to initially learn and understand. At least for me, they were some of the last things I developed my understanding of - but now, it's like second nature. It's extremely easy once you understand the basic premises of the Plane and shifting.

[Bold by Yoda]

Really good stuff, Robot Buddy R2D2. Just a couple of 'mentions' on this one:

First, knowing that you desire to write precisely, in the terminology of TheGolfing Machine, Swing means Swing and Hit means Hit. Sincethe "'conventional' Zero Plane Shift Swing" you refer to couldalso be a "'conventional' Zero Plane Shift Hit," it is betterto use the term 'Stroke.'

Second, Plane Angle is Plane Angle regardless of length of Stroke.Whether the player's Motion is Basic, Acquired or Total (12-5-1/2/3), the Planemaintains its separate identity. The 3-inch Putt and the 300-yard Driveneed an Inclined Plane, and that Plane could be any one of the fivereferenced in 10-6. Remember, the pictures in The Book depict only thecomponent under discussion. Resist the temptation to interpret them in anyother way.