John Riegger's TOUR Talk

Old 01-11-2008, 12:25 AM
Administrator

Magic Markers
Originally Posted by Seanmx View Post
Best of luck at the Sony Open.

(Photo from GolfWrx.com)

Originally Posted by Martee View Post
I think there are two driveway/roadway stick (red with white) in the bag as well....or maybe some exotic broken shafts.
Sharp eyes, guys. And a great photo. Thanks!

Sean, in your photo, notice that John has installed a grip down the dowel about a forearm's length. That's a reminder to grip down on the dowel -- 48" long and 5/8" in diameter -- and keep the upper end against the Left Forearm through Impact. BTW, that's John on the right in the photo -- trust me, I'd know that left forearm and hand anywhere! Given the left forefinger extended in its Reverse Overlap Grip alignment, he's obviously on the Putting Green. Gotta love those long distance photo lenses!

Martee, you're right. Tour players are increasingly using these reflective markers as alignment aids. [See the Heath Slocum video in our Gallery (filmed on Tuesday of the 2007 PODS Championship where he finished T2).] I gave John a set of 'Yoda's original' yellow-and-white models last year at TPC Summerlin in Las Vegas. The markers also come in a red-and-white color, and John obviously wanted a backup!

Brian Gay carries the set I gave him at the John Deere Classic last summer. He fired a 63 that Friday and finished T18. The markers are still in his bag, but the alignment aid that goes down first is still Old Faithful -- the wooden dowel.

Jay Williamson got his 'official' yellow-and-white marker just a couple of weeks ago when we worked together in Orlando. It's a rite of passage.

There must be some magic in all this: Brian, Jay and John today each shot 67 at the Sony Open in Hawaii. At 3-under par, they are T14 in a field of 144 of the best players in the world. [See my post today in the forum LBG On TOUR.]

The PGA TOUR 2008 is here and the game is on!

Go get'em, guys!