Massive Rotors and Extensor Action Why Johnny Can't Read - LynnBlakeGolf Forums

Massive Rotors and Extensor Action Why Johnny Can't Read

Chapter 7

Old 01-25-2005, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Why Johnny Can't Read
Originally Posted by powerdraw
hhmmm...swinging...

yoda, my right forearm takeaway feels more like a pull, so not much action pressure of heel of right hand on left thumb there! so what am i doing or feeling wrong?

and

gyroscope...i'd like to hear more about this concept, get the feel of it, is it the intial shoulder thrust or a pull down with hands? could you give me some feels, some drills?
Powerdraw,

Things must be cold up North-of-the-Border. You have way too much time on your hands! But we're glad you are using it constructively: Namely, to post. Thanks!

To your questions:

1. Regarding the Takeaway, remember that Extensor Action (the Left Arm being stretched by the Right via the #1 Pressure Point) is an action totally separate and distinct from the Right Forearm Takeaway. Recall from my post above: The Feel of your Total Motion is actually a Composite of many separate -- but readily identifiable -- individual Feels.

2. Regarding the Swinger's Gyroscopic Action and the Right Shoulder's participation, go back and look at the Hitting Vs. Swinging video in our Photo Gallery. Especially the Swinger's Start Down Motion -- "Spin, spin, spin! And the Club Throws Out!" The Right Shoulder does indeed Thrust -- but not violently as the 'T' word might imply...more like a gentle, Leading Turn (toward the Ball) . But remember: This is a Hands-Controlled-Pivot System -- not vice versa -- so the Pivot's underlying Motion is motivated, sensed and controlled by the Hands. You don't have to 'try' to do this: This is the way you have functioned -- naturally! -- every day of your life.

And that brings us to the root cause of so many of our Golfing problems: We have replaced our innate naturalness with learned, unnatural procedures. That does not mean that 'naturalness' should be allowed to 'have its way' willy-nilly. Far from it! It must be trained, just as you learned to walk....and to tie your shoes...and to drive a car.

But you cannot substitute Learned Unnatural Procedures for Learned Natural Procedures in pursuit of Golfing Technique. Yet that is exactly what people do! And that is why they'll rock along with a new 'thought' -- for example, 'Elbows strapped together' per Hogan's Five Lessons -- and things go well for a Hole or two. Then they blow it fifty yards right. Why did that happen? Because the Mechanic was wrong! It was an Unnatural substitute for the correct Natural Procedure.

"Why would someone continue to do something so obviously Unnatural?" Young Yoda asked Homer.

"It is habit executing its ignorance." said he.

Is it any wonder the great majority of us play so poorly?