3-f-5 The Address Routine - LynnBlakeGolf Forums

3-f-5 The Address Routine

Chapter 3

Old 04-30-2006, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Address Routines CE#45
Originally Posted by FeverPowerful

This is a question about the extension of the shoulder.

I'm not sure how to explain it.
If I stand straight up, my shoulders feel very close and "attached" to my body. Seen from the side view, I guess I would say the shoulders are in line with my body.
If I extend my left arm straight out, then I can still have a similar feeling with my shoulder. But, I can reach further than that by stretching my shoulder forward in front of my body.

I'm just wondering which position is correct? at address, do I keep the left shoulder in line with my body? Do I keep this feeling throughout the whole swing? Does anybody understand what I'm talking about? I'm not making sense, right? ops:

I notice that when I'm chipping, I always have the left shoulder non-extended. But, when I do the full swing, I sometimes extend my left shoulder away from me on the backswing (instead of just rotating my shoulders). And I'm thinking that if I do this, and I don't bring my shoulder back, then the radius that I established at address will be incorrect and I will, presumably, hit it fat.

FP,

Your concerns are well-founded. The Throw-Out Action of Centrifugal Force (2-K) works to pull all your Power Package Components into a straight line. These Components include your Arms, Hands, and Shoulders (which are a Pivot Component but also, being part of the Triangle Assembly of 6-A-1, are considered part of the Power Package as well).

This automatic 'stretching' by Centrifugal Force is the reason for the precision routine of 2-J-1 wherein the proper Left Shoulder to Ball Stroke Radius is established and 'pre-stretched.' This routine includes the Extensor Action (6-B-1-D) of the Right Triceps which stetches the Left Arm and also the Bent Right Arm (6-A-4) as the Checkrein Action (6-B-4-0) permits. The Extensor Action is in operation from Impact Fix (8-2) to the end of the Follow-Through (8-11) at which time the folding of the Left Arm by definition terminates the Action.

Also, as you have discovered, the Shoulder Girdle (or Pectoral Girdle) attaching and supporting the Arms is very flexible and also must be controlled. This is the reason for the directive in 2-M-3 to keep the Shoulders and Arms forward with Pectoral Muscle Contraction if necessary. Therefore, this piece of the G.O.L.F. Engineering System must likewise be incorporated into your personal G.O.L.F. Feel System (1-J and 3-B).

And now to your question of Shoulder Position for Chipping versus Driving. The Geometry of all Golf Strokes -- for any given Ball Flight Characteristic and from Drive to Putt -- stems from the Impact Geometry required by the Shot at hand. These alignments should not be left to chance. Instead, they should be be systematically established in the precision Impact Alignments Routine of 2-J-1 and then reinforced via the Three Checkout Procedures Address Routine of 3-F-5.

With the proper Radius established and 'pre-stretched,' and with Extensor Action maintaining that Radius, it is up to Educated Hands (5-0) and their able assistants, The Magical Right Forearm and Elbow (7-3), to trace the proper Geometry throughout the Stroke. The Pivot Components will yield to the dominion of the Hands, and no matter what degree of Pivot Motion you employ -- Zero, Partial or Full (7-12 and 10-12) -- there should be no difference in the way your Shoulders operate. And once you have incorporated The Golfing Machine Impact Fix (8-2) and Adjusted Address (8-3) routines into your Feel System...

There won't be.