2-J-1 Impact Alignments

Chapter 2

Old 04-29-2006, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Da Plane! Da Plane! CE#36
Originally Posted by 6bee1dee

Yoda screams:
Here's my message: Obliterate it!

Do you like swing plane boards then? I'm not a big fan of them except an occasional visit to feel or see the plane around you. I think to work your swing along them is like putting the cart before the horse. But I'm the student, what do you think?

There is no conflict between the Swing Plane concept and my advice to "obliterate" its Base Line on your way Down to the Low Point.

That said, over the years I have seen a number of variations on the 'Plane board' as a Feel training device. Some good and some not so good. Other than to reiterate Homer's position that the Plane should be viewed as rectangular and with a Base Line that extends to infinity in both directions (2-F), I have no recommendations to offer in that area.

However, I can tell you that Homer Kelley thought it was very important that each student spend at least some time "in the Plane." That is why he built one -- the same one you see in The Book that was the centerpiece of the mini-range in his converted garage -- and insisted that his Authorized Instructor candidates hit little pitches from inside it. We would do this, and the plastic material of the Plane's Face would 'rustle' as our Clubs went back and through.

He told me:

"I built the Plane, and...Sheesh! I couldn't believe how it felt!"

The photographs I shot of Homer in his red sweater and white knit golf shirt buttoned at the top, standing inside the Inclined Plane with his Clubshaft resting on its Face, are among my most prized possessions.

How prized?

Well, let's just say you won't be seeing them on Ebay any time soon!