10-1-0 Grip Pressure - LynnBlakeGolf Forums

10-1-0 Grip Pressure

Chapter 10

Old 04-29-2006, 09:57 PM
Administrator

10-1-0 Grip Pressure
Originally Posted by tgmgolfer2k2

Light grip pressure, hold it like a bird, etc. is one of the biggest fallacies in golf today. I cannot, for the life of me, hold it loosely - I feel like the club is now dictating ME.

As long as your forearms aren't tense, go as hard as you want with PP2.

Agreed! I think 'ol Sam ("Hold it like a Bird") Snead was a mite stronger than he thought. Still...

I do remember the story of Arnold Palmer in his prime walking the practice tee shaking hands with his fellow pro's and asking everybody to shake with their normal grip pressure. Palmer got to Snead...they shook...and Arnie says, "You've got to be kidding!"

And who knows? Maybe he was!

On the other hand, Arnie was a Hitter. And we all know that it is their natural-born duty to grip it tight!

Anyway, the Swingers will always grip it lighter than the Hitters. But that doesn't mean that it is necessarily all that "light!"

I asked Larry Nelson one time how much Grip Pressure he was teaching his boys, Drew and Josh, to use. His answer:

"Just like me. Pretty tight. That's the way they're going to be under pressure anyway. So they better learn to swing it that way."

Same thing with Homer. Now remember from a prior post, he did like to control and he did like to Hit. And how tight did he grip it? "Pretty tight. Nice and firm."

And for what its worth, he liked thicker rather than thinner grips, even though he didn't have large hands or long fingers.

"Why?" asked I.

"Easier to hold onto," said he.

Hard to argue with that logic!

Remember: Per 10-1-0, all the fingers that encircle the Club grip the Club...except to some extent the right forefinger, and then only to keep it sensitive to the Clubhead Lag Pressure Point Feel.

That's the really important thing. Grip firmly -- not necessarily tightly but not loosey-goosey, either -- with all but the Right Forefinger. This one stays light and remains sensitive to the Clubhead Lag Pressure Point Feel from the Address to the Top and through to the Finish. From Impact Fix (8-2) to the Finish (8-12), this finger should be merely "floating" on the Club. Look at pictures of Nickaus and Trevino in their prime. At the top the Right forefinger was actually pointing skyward. And at the bottom, it remained passive, still in its somewhat extended position on the Club, sensitive to the Clubhead Lag Pressure, never pushing the Club away.

And what did Hogan call the Right Forefinger? The Swingwrecker! So keep it passive throughout the Backstroke, and then in the Start-Down let it passively accept all the Load your Clubhead Lag Loading Action (10-19) can put on it.

Hogan said grip it light with the Right Forefinger. But Byron Nelson said to grip it firm with the same finger! Both were Swingers and both were great players. Who was right? They both were! From the Top, the inert Right Forefinger will be welded against the Shaft. That's about as light and as firm as you can be at the same time! They were both saying the same thing! Sensitive (to Lag Pressure) but Welded (by Lag Pressure).

Now, with your Right Forearm Flying Wedge and its Bent and Motionless Right Wrist and its trailing, Loaded #3 Lag Pressure Point you'll be able to take that On-Plane Welded Lag Pressure and with it trace the Straight Plane Line -- or for that matter, any other Line you want to trace! Draws. Fades. Even the dreaded Straight Ball. All animal crackers and duck soup with the correct Clubhead Lag Pressure Point Feel.

"Straight back and Straight Through. That's the way I swang the Club." said Lord Byron in his Texas twang. And then, "Pretty simple, isn't it!"

Yes, it's simple! If you feel the welded Clubhead Lag Pressure and use it to trace the Straight Plane Line! And when Zones #1 and #2 (Body and Arms) are under control, you will feel it. You'll feel in your Educated Hands, and you'll be able to put that Clubhead through the Ball anywhere you want! Down and Out from the Top. Through the Downstroke, Release, and Impact. Into the Both Arms Straight Positon of the Follow-Through. Never throwing the Lag Pressure away. Always sustaining that heavy, deadweight inertia of the Clubhead Lag.

But learning to do this does have its downside:

That chaufeurred limousine your buddies have been sending to pick you up every Saturday morning, complete with a Bloody Mary and the morning papers, will one stay stop showing up.

But...
You'll learn to live with that, too.
Trust me!

01-30-2004, 12:25 AM